Friday, May 23, 2008

The Asymptotic Faery



The Asymptotic Faery is a character design I plan to develop further. It's based on my writing identity under the same name as well as the writing blog site I started recently:

The Asymptotic Faery Writing Blog

The name, originally just Asymptotic Faery, came about several years ago as one of my alter egos. I have many alter egos that I like to characterize. The Asymptotic Faery's name was originally Inkair. I might still use this name for the T.A.F. character but for now it represents another facet of my personality under my real name.

Additionally, I used this name as one of my online discussion board aliases for a few years and it eventually stuck as a username.

The name depicts a state of mystique, curious intelligence (cerebral connotation) and childlike whimsy. More directly, the name implies my ability to relate to other people through ideas, thoughts and emotions while remaining quite solitary and distant on many levels. Others get close to me but never really get to know or understand me fully...so to speak. This has nothing to do with placing myself on a pedestal of any sort. The meaning should not and is not intended to be interpreted this way. It is more about my acknowledgment as a solitary person...tending towards being social on my own terms out of habit and nature. It also reflects my experience of being able to only relate to a few people in my life very well on a very intimate level.

The design was originally developed in Illustrator, but taken into Photoshop to add in background elements from other related pieces. I wasn't sure about how I wanted to interpret the look of the character. I had some other sketches in mind. I am still in experimentation stage...so the design can change if I wind up not liking it as much within a week or so. The character was a bit different than what I usually design because was very insect-like.

Originally, the legs were not encased in bubble sheaths or material as they are now. They just stood out of bare stick-like limbs. I wasn't too satisfied with that after a week had passed. I wanted the limbs to look more substantial.

I've also always liked the look of easter eggs, colorful beetles (especially scarabs), ladybugs, butterfly wings, reflective glassy objects with a hint of water and mirror elements and alien-like creatures. So this character takes on all of these associations. It's a faery...a unique being but it also has the ability to transform and adapt to various environments with its appendages and body.

The head is the central stagnant look but the character has the ability to change and adapt...body-wise.

I added in the character holding a shiny glass with pink liquid in it circling around several small planets which depicts a snapshot or section of the universe. The slogan for The Asymptotic Faery is, "The Whole Universe Inside a Glass of Water."

The meaning behind this slogan can be seen as my T.A.F. blog site linked further above.

No comments: